A new update for IOTA has been released for nodes which is meant to improve network speed and add a new feature, promote, to replace re-attach.

Let's say 30% of nodes have updated to it. What happens to the other 70% of nodes that haven't updated, and are they a burden on the network that cause congestion? If not, how does the network efficiently handle the discrepancy?

  • 1
    Can we focus this question on a specific feature and include what that feature would require of wallets and nodes?
    – Helmar
    Dec 20 '17 at 18:05
  • Sure, I'll edit
    – aboose
    Dec 20 '17 at 18:12
  • 1
    hmm, I never realized how bare bones the iota release notes are...
    – Helmar
    Dec 20 '17 at 18:42
  • More relevant in this update was the more rigorous transaction validation, which resulted in getting lots of "dropped transactions" in the newer nodes from the older ones (see iota.stackexchange.com/q/790/134). For "promote" I guess the number of end-users not updating their wallet is a greater burden than the full nodes that are not updated. For manually added neighbors, nodes may "prod" them to update, but with Nelson, no idea...
    – mihi
    Dec 20 '17 at 19:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.