For example, this scenario:
- I broadcast a transaction from a previously-unspent-from address, for a large amount, say 1 Ti.
- The full node I broadcast to is a malicious actor who has been waiting for a large transaction to be broadcast to him.
- Since I have publicly broadcast a spending transaction, the funds in my address are now vulnerable, due to the nature of IOTA's Lamport Signature scheme, until confirmation.
- Instead of relaying the transaction to the rest of the network to help confirm the transaction, the malicious node instead attempts to compromise my seed given the now-weakened address.
- If he is successful, he broadcasts his own transaction sending my funds to his own address.